Cody girls cross country wins City Championship

The Cody cross country team poses with Coach Watkins after a tough meet. Courtesy photo.

Cody’s cross-country girls won the city championships for the Gold Division this year.

“We had a great season ending with a championship,” said junior Amira Cornelius. 

The team went on to finish in the top tier in the regional championships on Oct. 29. 

The dedicated runners began the season in August competing throughout the season at Belle Isle Park in Detroit. 

“Cross country is difficult. You compete against all the other schools in Detroit and run for three miles,” said Cornelius. 

Senior Mariama Diallo, who has been running with the team since ninth grade, said, “You have to make sure you drink lots of water and have energy to run.”

She said that her coaches continue to be supportive and tell her to continue her dreams.

“I enjoy running with my team,” said senior Aveona Edwards. 

Edwards also has been running with the team since ninth grade and hopes to acquire a scholarship in track and field.  

“I really enjoyed bonding with my team. They made sure I would not give up, even when I wanted to,” said first-time cross-country runner A’Bria Woolfolk. 

Junior Decarious Jackson said, “Cross-country is like life, it teaches us that no matter how hard or rough life gets, if you keep pushing through and never quit, you will reach your goals.”

The coaches for the team are Coach Antonio Baker and Coach Michele Watkins, and they are dedicated to introducing students to the world of running and success.

Dejanai Edwards, Aveona Edwards, A’Bria Woolfolk, Mariama Diallo and Khadijah Diallo helped the cross country team win a city championship this year. Courtesy photo.