Cass Tech is PSL champs again

Cass Tech Football Team celebrates after the PSL City Championship win.
Photo by Karrington Watson.
Cass Tech Football Team celebrates after the PSL City Championship win. Photo by Karrington Watson.

Cass Tech Football Team won the DPSCD PSL City Championship with a 28-14 victory over rival King on Oct. 14 at Wayne State’s Tom Adams Field. The last time Cass won was in 2020. 

Cass Tech head coach Marvin Rushing said his team played unselfishly. 

“When 11 men are on the field, you need each person to do their job to have success … so it really just became working as a team,” Rushing said. 

Rushing said the team is preparing for the state playoffs “one practice at a time.”

“If we look back at the PSL Championship, it is going to cost what’s in front of us,” Rushing said. “While the city is very important, to be legendary you would need to win a state championship. Here, the expectation is to win the city, but ultimately to win a state championship.”

Senior running back Sean Hodges said the team prepared for the PSL City Championship by knowing who the opponent was and focusing on only them. 

“We played against them all the time, so it isn’t new,” Hodges said. “We just knew that we had to come out as a new team and prepare like how we would for any other team.”

Hodges, who recently committed to play at Grand Valley State University, said the highlight of the game was the team coming out strong with two touchdowns back to back in the first quarter, and then another two touchdowns after halftime. 

“Those were big moments for us as a team,” said Hodges. “We felt like we were the better team and we knew we were going to come out with a dub.”