Cass Tech senior earns Chick Evans Scholarship

<p>Cass Technical High School senior Treasure Gibson received the Chick Evans scholarship. Courtesy photo.</p>

Cass Technical High School senior Treasure Gibson received the Chick Evans scholarship. Courtesy photo.

The Chick Evans Scholarship has been helping students pay for college since 1930. The scholarship is given by the Western Golf Association and was created to celebrate Amateur golfer Charles "Chick" Evans Jr.

The requirements for this scholarship are that the student be a caddie for a minimum of two years. Along with that, they are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA and have taken the ACT. Having good character values and financial needs are also things that the committee considers in applicants.

Every year, hundreds of applicants apply for the scholarship. One of the most recent recipients of the scholarship is Cass Technical High School senior Treasure Gibson. Gibson received the Chick Evans scholarship, which awarded her with full tuition and housing for college.

Along with other members of the class of 2022, Gibson has been deeply affected by the coronavirus pandemic. The stress of the pandemic affected her in many ways, including her ability to focus on her assignments for her classes. She found it very challenging at times to adjust to the different learning platforms. She even doubted whether her grades would allow her to go to college.

"... There was a time and place where I didn't think that I was going to be able to even go to college with the grades that I was receiving," Gibson said. 

Despite the challenges of the pandemic, Gibson caddied every summer during all four years of high school. 

The struggle for most students when quarantine and virtual classes started was more than students expected. It was during this time when students began to fall behind in their grades or fail classes all together.

Some students had to enroll in credit recovery classes. The mental health of students also decreased a lot, which was also the case for Gibson.

"The pandemic took a toll on my mental health, so it decreased a lot,” Gibson said. I had to find out a lot of ways to try and improve that while also being stuck inside during quarantine.”

Some students had to enroll in credit recovery classes. The mental health of students also decreased a lot, which was also the case for Gibson. Gibson said she is grateful to those who granted her the scholarship.

"I'm glad that the scholarship committee took that into consideration and didn't just look at my grades but looked at my personality or what I was doing or my family situation or anything and allowed me to receive the scholarship," Gibson said.