King's Parks nets career high

Shooting guard hits eight 3-pointers

<p>Shooting guard Lamont Parks and varsity basketball coach George Ward after the Muskegon 2022 Basketball Showcase. Courtesy photo.</p>

Shooting guard Lamont Parks and varsity basketball coach George Ward after the Muskegon 2022 Basketball Showcase. Courtesy photo.

On Jan. 9, King senior guard Lamont Parks had an amazing shooting performance, hitting eight 3-pointers while leading the Crusaders to a 73-59 victory over Kalamazoo Central at the Muskegon 2022 Basketball Showcase. Tip–off started at 5:30 p.m., and the stands were packed to see one of the top teams in Michigan play. 

Right off the bat, the Crusaders were good at sharing the ball, playing under a shot clock and moving the ball, which led to Parks’ 3-pointers. Parks was on fire hitting five 3-pointers in the first half.

“When Lamont Parks Jr. was on fire with the 3-pointers, my reaction was energetic," junior and small forward Samuel Washington said. "I felt as if he brought energy to the team and once he kept knocking three pointers down back-to-back, I knew he was locked in. Lamont inspired me to shoot the ball more off ball screens and I thanked him for that."

The second half began, and the Parks Show continued. Parks was not missing, hitting three more 3-pointers for 24 total points. Those eight 3-pointers in a game was his best shooting performance. It was smiles and happiness on the Crusaders side after watching that shooting performance.

“I felt good knowing I had the hot hand," Parks said. "I really wanted to be able to showcase my ability on how good I could shoot the ball."

The team’s goal is to be the 2021-22 city and state champs. 

“With that man Lamont shooting like that I can’t see us losing," mentor and statistician coach Michael Phillips said. "It would be hard to beat a team shooting 100 percent from three."