School in Detroit remains virtual, presents challenges

This year has been challenging year for students. The soaring increase in COVID-19 cases has forced a district shutdown. DPCSD superintendent announced that school may remain virtually until Jan 31. 

Changing from in person learning too virtual can be difficult. 

According to recent school surveys, students are adjusting after becoming accustom again to face-to-face learning; but continue to experience mental fog, procrastination, fatigue, and depression said American Federation of Teachers Union Representative. 

Attending virtual school is a necessary option with the low vaccination rates and contagious Omicron strain quickly multiplying in Michigan communities Gov. Gretchen Whitmer noted in a recent press conference.

Most students prefer face-to-face learning because they can socialize with friends and classmates, interact with teachers, ask them questions in general. Yet, remaining cautious of COVID-19 and the protocols of cleaning, masking and interacting are essential.

Attending school in person during the pandemic makes learning more effective than online because in persons help different learning styles and it improves mental health. 

Senior Sanaa Parker said, “I think I am handling my classes pretty good during this pandemic. I prefer in person learning because I am more motivated to get assignments done. Due to the pandemic, I am very cautious of who I am around and do not socialize much out of school.”

Senior Tiara Pettus said she appreciates virtually because she can focus more and flourish in quiet organized surrounding. 

“The best thing is not having to leave home during the pandemic,” she said.

The pandemic is slowing me down mentally,” Jayla Rodgers said. “It’s hard to stay focus on school while being at home due to the recent COVID cases and school shut down.” 

Students may not be able to socialize, but the need to save lives and stay safe makes virtual learning a necessity.