King junior Dante Moore receives “Mr. Football” award

After helping his team to a state title at Ford Field on Nov. 27, King quarterback Dante Moore received the “Mr. Football” award presented by STATE CHAMPS! and Hungry Howie’s Pizza. He is the first junior to receive the award.

For a player to win the award, it takes hard work and dedication. Moore finished the season with 3,044 yards and 40 touchdowns on 171 for 244 passing.

“It’s a blessing,'" Moore said. "I was crying during the interview. I was really happy. I didn’t know I won it. I was very emotional after we won the state championship game. To get where I am you keep your head down, keep working, don’t listen to the crowd, perform at your highest, be who you are and you will be great.”

Quarterback Dante Moore celebrates after receiving the Mr. Football award. Courtesy photo.

There was no shock Moore earned and won the award. Being able to control his emotions throughout the season and tune out the crowd shows leadership and helps motivate his team.

“I don’t think any of the coaching staff was surprised that Dante is Mr. Football," said Leon Crenshaw, King's assistant varsity coach. "He has matured in and off the field. He became a better leader, and he had a record-breaking year at the QB position. And to think that he is only a junior."

Moore still hasn't given any insight into his college recruitment, being secretive as opposed to other high school recruits. Moore is still undecided on his college plans even after receiving over 25 offers.

“I was mainly focused on the season," Moore said. "I wasn’t concerned or stressing about shorting my list or committing. People expect me to do a lot when getting an offer young. I was just being a kid playing football. I was real young getting my first offer. I didn’t even know what an offer was.”