Feminine products available to Cass Tech students

<p>Five out of six floors in Cass Tech are fully stocked with feminine products through March 2022. Photo by CT Visionary.</p>

Five out of six floors in Cass Tech are fully stocked with feminine products through March 2022. Photo by CT Visionary.

Through the combined initiative and donations from staff, students and parents, feminine products are available to Cass Tech students this school year. Five out of six floors in Cass Tech are fully stocked with feminine products through March 2022. 

Cass Tech English teacher Kelsey Wiley got inspired by the article “Equity, Period” in the magazine Learning for Justice. The article discussed the importance of having accessible feminine products in schools. Learning for Justice is an activist organization for educators that promotes equity. 

“I read (the article) and I was just like this is something that absolutely needs to be addressed in our schools,” Wiley said. “To be at school for eight hours a day and not have quality products to get through your day will just ruin your entire day.”

Feminine products are a part of school supplies that students need. Accessibility to these products ensures students’ education are not impacted. Some students have to leave class early because they don’t have access to feminine products. 

“I remember one day during math class, during a test, I had started my cycle and after the test I realized I didn’t have any period products and none of my close friends had any either," said senior Mariah Kent. "So, it was kind of hard, you know trying to search and it kind of impacted the way I felt for the rest of the day."

Not everyone can afford feminine products.

“Like free lunch, not all students have the ability to buy lunches every day and the same thing goes for period products.” Kent said.

Cass Tech students said they feel safer and more comfortable now that period products are available at school. Many students said they felt unprepared to be in school before the accessibility to these products. 

“I feel a lot more prepared and safer because I won’t have to miss classes or important lectures I will have,” said Rabika Ali, a senior at Cass Tech.