DPSCD students run Black-owned businesses

Some African-American students in DPSCD have become entrepreneurs by starting their own businesses and adding to the number of Black-owned businesses.

CMA’s Bianca Alexander’s business is called The Keto Kitchen, a food service where they serve ketogenic meal prep. Alexander started the business with the help of her mother in October and said she initially started her business to give people flavorful food options while still adhering to a low carb diet.

“It has allowed me to connect with new people and has helped me practice good customer service tactics,” Alexander said.

Alexander said she soon hopes to grow her customer base and educate people on the ketogenic diet. You can find the Keto Kitchen on Instagram and Facebook with its handle, @theketokitchen.

Another student black owned business in DPSCD is LipsByLaii, a cosmetic business owned by Cass Tech student Laila Simone.

“I wanted to provide skin care products for people with sensitive skin, to feel beautiful on the inside and out,” Simone said.

LipsByLaii sells body butters, sugar scrubs, lip gloss, lashes, beard oils and natural soaps. LipsByLaii was launched in December 2019. You can find LipsByLaii by going to its website, www.LipsByLaii.com, and on Instagram at @lipsbylaii_

Laila said starting her own business made her realize that “entrepreneurs work hard for success, and everything doesn’t come easy.” 

To future business owners, she said: “Nothing comes easy. You have to work for what you want.”