How will new grading affect students and teachers?

Since the start of semester two for Detroit Public Schools Community District, there have been several changes, but one of that stands out is the new grading system. On Feb. 28, a video was released by Deputy Superintendent Iranetta Wright described some of the changes to grading. Some of notable changes would consist of "F" letter grades being changed to "NC," which means no credit and "D" letter grades being changed to "G," which mean credit is received but has no impact their grade-point averages.

DPSCD hasn’t had a changed in grading since 2018 when A to F grading was incorporated in every DPSCD school. "A" for the best-performing schools to "F" for those that need serious help. That change was to help parents make better decisions about where to send their kids to school, according an article in the Detroit Free Press. 

“With the new grading System, it doesn’t motivate me as much as the original grading System does," CMA senior Lanette Salter said. "Between NC and G it doesn’t scare me as much as a F and D does.”

The 2020-2021 school year is noticeably different so a changed in grading seems plausible since it could benefit students. Wright describes a beneficial change as, “Students may retake quizzes and test up to two times to demonstrate their understanding.” 

This may help students who may struggle with certain subjects but how will this affect teachers seeing as they are the ones who have to put the grades in and give the quizzes?

“I think it is helpful," said 10th grade teacher Scott Conwell. "Honestly, it has not forced me to change the way I run my classes. I think it has a helpful effect for those struggling and has no negative effect on those already succeeding.” 

These new changes seem to have pluses and minuses on certain people but the real question is, will this change be permanent or temporary for this school year?