Will reopening restaurants lead to economic recovery or virus spread?

The reopening of indoor dining in Michigan on Feb. 1 might help reduce some economic stress on the industry and decrease employment rates, but is this the proper decision? The coronavirus may be spreading at a slower rate in Michigan due to the social distancing and vaccines, but the reopening of restaurants could lead to an increase in the number of cases. 

The main issue with reopening restaurants is people’s safety may be at risk while eating in proximity to others and a risk to waiters and waitresses while collecting dirty dishes.

On Jan. 22, Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, chief medical executive for Michigan, announced a set of certain restrictions on restaurants to prevent the spread of the virus. She said there must be a 25% capacity limit and a curfew of 10 p.m. along with good ventilation and proper distancing between tables.

The reopening of restaurants also benefits to the general morale of people who like to spend their time outside of their home. 

“I think a lot of people need this seeing as they have been in the house for the last almost year," CMA senior Treasure Thomas sais. "And if people take the proper precautions hopefully everyone will be safe but also this virus don’t have any boundaries and can affect anyone at any time so it’s probably not a good idea.”

“Well for the most part I'm glad that the restaurants are opened," CMA senior Aquirja Houston said. "I believe that as long as you cover your mouth when you're talking to the waiter there should be no problems"

If these restrictions are effective, then that could make things better worth restaurants owners considering how long they have been closed. Restaurants play a crucial role in the economy by employing more than 595,000 people and creating nearly $40 billion in annual sales, according to Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association.