Teen drivers want parents to relax

Drivers remember their first car. In fact, people started with a dream of driving that they hoped could be manifested some day. Teens are so quick to get up and cruise around. Many forget the fact that their first driving instructor is their parent who knows the road can be a dangerous place. 

Teens are  anxious to get on the road, but parents are the complete opposite because they know the dangers that lurk.

“My parents do get on my nerves because they don’t know the difference between being a parent and being a teacher," King junior SeMyia Pitts said. "As a teacher you have to be patient and most parents just don’t have that trait."

David Rock, author of "Your Brain at Work," reports people learn best when they have full concentration. This means no noise nor distractions, and being on the road takes full concentration and focus. 

“My mother is very irritating because she is loud," University High School junior Ilana Spencer said. "When she is yelling, she is throwing off my concentration."

Being behind the wheel is already a dangerous risk people take everyday. Being on the road can be life threatening, and people do not know when or if something bad is going to happen. According to DriveSafe.com, “Car crashes are the No. 1 fatality rate of teens.”

“My advice to teenage drivers is to listen to your parents obviously, and to be safe and aware of your decisions on the road," said Justine Wheeler, a first responder with the Detroit Police Department. "If you don’t have any license or accompanied by a licensed driver just know the consequences could be bad: either getting into a fatal accident, getting a ticket, or getting your car took away from you,” Officer Justine Wheeler said. 

Teens die every day from car accidents. According to the CDC, the leading causes of teen crashes are distracted driving and inexperience. 

“Can you blame me, and I’m speaking on behalf of all parents. I’m trying to prepare my children for the best, so if anything ever happens on the road, they can be prepared. I see on the news or read an article, kids die everyday from car crashes, and I don’t wanna see my kid on news reports,” Tamara Walker, mother of Pitts said.