MASSEY: Should Tee Grizzley be considered a sellout?

“Love my hood, but you will never see me go there”

Maissa Slaughter 

The rap industry is filled with people of many different backgrounds. Most rappers from cities with high crime-rates tend to fall into the stereotype of using lyrics that harness explicit language and illegal activity. However, there is a percentage of rappers who have changed and rap about things other than killing. 

Rapper Tee Grizzley recently went through a traumatic experience losing his manager. This not only impacted his character but the main topic of his songs.

“Love my hood, but you will never see me go there," Grizzley raps.

The title of this song is “Trenches, which is another word for living in the hood. I agree with Grizzley’s statement because what is the point of staying in a bad position in life if you can leave and have a better life.

“It's crazy when your own people wanna bring you down,” Grizzley raps in an older song titled “Win.”

These lyrics show some people and the media will always want to bring you down or see failure in Grizzley’s point of view. Grizzley realized this is and that is why he left. The entire reason for his rap career and many others is to leave the hood and have a good life.

Grizzley has accumulated a lot of hate for not returning to Detroit after his manager was killed. Some call Grizzley a sellout but I disagree because he should not have to go back to the place he most wanted to leave.