License and registration: Can you wait?

<p>Because of the COVID-19, Michigan residents must make an appointment to get service at the Secretary of State offices.</p>

Because of the COVID-19, Michigan residents must make an appointment to get service at the Secretary of State offices.

Amid the coronavirus outbreak, all Secretary of State branches in Michigan were closed. This left many new drivers without a license and other citizens without an ID. Each branch reopened at the beginning of June and citizens are now seen by appointment only. 

For some it has been hard to make a same day appointment, but junior Charle’ Moore decided to go to the suburbs. 

“When I took my road test, I went and got my license the next day,” said Moore. “I just had to make a same day appointment but I went to the Secretary of State in Canton.”

For others getting an appointment has been difficult. Some new drivers had to wait weeks to months to get an appointment to receive their license after taking the road test. Senior Myia Jefferson scheduled her appointment before taking the road test and still had to wait for an extended period time.

“I made mine [appointment] at the end of May and went July 24,” Jefferson said. “I made it before I took my road test because of course I knew I was going to pass.”

Some students were able to get in before the pandemic hit. In fact, senior Deonte Morris experienced a walk-in appointment one week before Michigan’s shutdown.

“It was a good, easy experience for me. Scheduling appointments weren’t mandatory,” Morris said.

According to michigan.gov/SOS, "Next-day appointments are offered between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. and become available the previous day at 8 a.m.”