High school swimming: Is COVID-19 a big setback?

<p>“All of the water in the pool is circulated through sand filters for cleaning,” swim coach Gary Peterson said. Photo by Crusaders' Chronicle.</p>

“All of the water in the pool is circulated through sand filters for cleaning,” swim coach Gary Peterson said. Photo by Crusaders' Chronicle.

King is known not only for its football team but also its outstanding swim team. The Crusaders swimmers have accomplishments such as winning city championships with only eight members. 

Considering the current state of COVID-19, swim teams are taking precautions such as swimming every other lane as well as swimming 6-feet apart. Per the governor's orders, these rules are necessary to minimize the spread of COVID-19. 

“We have social distancing," King swim coach Gary Peterson said. "The swimmers are spread out with no more than two swimmers in a lane, starting their swim at opposite ends of the pool."

Due to the sudden change in life that started this March when schools shut down, the swimmers were eight months behind in training. Team members' ability to practice had gone on a hiatus. This inability to get in the water caused a mental compromise for swimmers.

“We’re going to be slower regardless. We just need to focus on endurance,” senior Joshua Peoples said.

The safety of the swimmers is the main concern.

“Swimming pools have a steady flow of surface water being removed through the pool gutters and drains while clean filtered water is being deposited through the pool inlets,” Peterson said.

Though this may sound scary, the parents working along with the coaches are mindful of daily cleanings of the pool deck. Currently parents aren't allowed into the pool deck to watch their swimmer practice.

“We take precautions but we cannot live our lives in fear,” said Ian Slaughter, a parent of a swimmer. 

How will high school swimming continue in the future? Neither the parents nor the swimmers know what will happen next.