DPSCD, Wayne State host virtual college fair

Detroit Public Schools Community District and Wayne State University sponsored their annual college fair for 11th and 12th grade students. On Oct. 8-9, students met with college representatives virtually through the platform Detroit Connect Live. The college fair was held virtually because of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Cass Tech Senior Alexia Carol-Williams said  the event was informative. The requirements for students to get in was pre-registration days before the event. 

“I like it better than than actually talking to people because I get anxiety and it prevents me from asking the questions I need answers for,  Carol-Williams said.

Students had the opportunity to connect with universities and colleges from around the country through an online event. Once inside the platform, students were able to search for universities based on their preferences, visit their virtual booth and get detailed information and talk one-on-one with admissions officers. 

Cass Tech College transition advisor Keisha Boyd said, “During the month of September I encourage all seniors to create a parchment account, so they may send their official transcripts to the colleges and universities.” 

Boyd also said she encourages seniors to apply for two-year and four-year scholarships.

Cass Tech hosts three college events each school year: Detroit College Fair, Spring College Fair and College Signing Day.