Taylor: Virtual learning is challenging

This entire year has been very hard and rocky for everyone, and since the new 2020-2021 school year has started, many students have had many mixed emotions about how the year has been so far.

Hours spent in front of a screen can be detrimental, causing eye strain, migraines, blurred vision, and neck and back pain. There are also students like myself who believe an in-school learning environment is more suitable considering it is a lot easier to get comfortable and distracted. 

I asked two Detroit high school students about their thoughts on virtual learning.

“I feel like with online learning there is a lack of communication, empathy, and understanding present in all parties. It feels like a constant battle of busy work that scramble to get in by 11:59,” said Zahria Liggins, a senior at Cass Technical High School and a member of the school's focus group.

Laureal Poré, a senior from University Prep Science & Math said: “I feel as if everyday of my life is on repeat. I wake up for school just to stare at a computer screen until 3:30 and then stare at it again right after to rush and do all the homework and turn it in on time.”

Virtual school setting does come with some benefits. We don’t have to get up early to rush to school, nor do we have to sit and wait for lunch when we aren’t far from our refrigerators. I take these things into account, but I would rather be in a productive school environment than a comfortable home environment when it comes to learning and getting my work done.