Western hosts DSO piccolo performance

When Detroit Symphony Orchestra musician Jeffery Zook plays the piccolo it’s like “The spirit of life coming through me when I play the music,” he said.  

Western students heard the music come to life as Zook played piccolo with the DSO at Western last month in a performance that included “The William Tell Overture” by Gioachino Rossini and “Symphony No. 9” by Dmitri Shostakovich.

“It was very good, and I enjoyed the clear sound of the flutes,” said senior Nancy Jiménez, giving a nod to Zook, who also plays flute.

Zook, a University of Michigan graduate, embraced the world of music at age 5.

“I wanted to be better than my sister” said Zook, who competed with two other siblings while receiving the support of his parents after showing an early interest in piano.  

Zook spent his summers studying and practicing music at Interlochen Center for the Arts, a premier Michigan school for the performing arts. 

The performance presented by Zook and the DSO made a powerful impression upon Western music teacher Gueorg Hranov. 

“In concert the sound is so much better,” said Hranov, comparing this live performance to a recording.  

The performance also provoked questions among some students. Senior Daniela Castro asked Zook about the purpose of the orchestra conductor. 

"The conductor allows the musicians to keep track of the pitch they play," said Zook, who later mentioned that he and fellow DSO musicians have a favorable opinion of incoming DSO conductor, Jader Bignamini. Zook said that being a part of the orchestra has always been a fulfilling job for him.