Animal testing often unnecessary

Companies including Estee Lauder, Clinique, L’oreal and Maybelline use various methods of tests and studies on animals to learn the flaws and benefits of their products before they market them to the general public, according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

There are also pharmaceutical companies that use domestic animals in their research. Some companies buy “purpose bred” dogs and silence them during testing by administering “devocalization services.”

PETA monitors laboratories to stop inhumane treatment of animals in the name of research. While its efforts have a major impact on how animals must be treated in experiments, it seems the problem is bigger than PETA can handle.

Justin Rohrlich, a reporter for Quartz, wrote in 2016 that more than “800,000 animals a year are used in scientific testing.”

Examples of animal testing include forcing mice and rats to inhale toxic fumes, force feeding dogs pesticides, and dropping corrosive chemicals into rabbits’ eyes, according to PETA.

According to PETA, a lot of animal tests are unnecessary and expensive.

Many tests aren’t even required by the government. But the truth is our government uses taxpayers’ money to back some companies’ animal testing efforts. This also means, our government is partially responsible for countless animals being killed during and after testing.  

The federal government, private companies, investors and others are financing animal experiments at universities and private laboratories.

While some research and animal testing may be needed to advance our understanding and use of products; it is safe to say, at the rate we are going, hundreds of thousands of animals will continue to be abused and killed in experiments.