DSA to become ‘premier arts school’

Detroit Public Schools Community District has partnered with 24 arts organizations to create the Detroit School of Arts Pathways Initiative. According to a DPSCD press release, the “initiative is designed to position DSA as the premier arts school in Metro Detroit and to develop students’ talent in the years to follow.”

“The Detroit School of Arts is a beautiful facility that is underutilized as an asset to the arts, students and the city,” DPSCD Superintendent Nikolai Vitti said in the release. “We know that Detroit’s children represent historic arts talent and that DPS has developed some of the world’s best artists. As we continue to rebuild the school system, we are committed to the whole child, this is a critical piece to the process. The concentration of focus by the district and partners will make DSA the destination for Detroit’s talent.”

As part of the initiative, four middle schools will become middle school conservatories and eventually feeder schools to DSA. Those schools are the Brenda Scott Academy for Theatre Arts, Duke Ellington Conservatory of Music & Art, John R. King Academic and Performing Arts Academy and Spain Elementary-Middle School. 

The middle school conservatories will work with the 24 arts partners and DSA. DPSCD will provide transportation from the four middle schools to DSA.