Robotics team grows with 7232-Pharaohs

<p>Communication and Media Arts robotics team members pose for a group photo.</p>

Communication and Media Arts robotics team members pose for a group photo.

Jordan Boyd, junior and captain of the robotics team at CMA says: “Robotics is an art that brings the student together with professional engineers, scientists and other highly educated men and women in the STEM field as mentor and guides the students to the right path for a better future. I am around more than twenty different educated college graduates who help me plan my future.”

Boyd’s views are not unlike the majority of his teammates. Robotics is a powerful group of innovative, creative and futuristic thinkers.

Robotics team 7232-Pharaohs are on the uprising. The 7232-Pharaohs have won 50% of their matches. From first being in 30th to now sixth in the robotics competition. At first, just 14 students were participating now there are 42 members. 

The robotics team meets up every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at Detroit Hispanic Development Corp. The theme of this year’s competition is “The Infant Recharge from Star Wars.”

The robotic team partners with two other schools for a 3 vs. 3 match. The robot has to shoot a ball inside a whole for different points, spin a spinner to a certain color and then have the robot hang itself off the ground by reaching for a big hanger. The team has to do everything within two and a half minutes. The student math and the ability to follow instructions play a big role in building a robot. 

The team created to design the robot for the theme for that year is part of building the robot. The name of the robot is Anubis. 

When building a robot students have the opportunity to use different types of tools/equipment like a screwdriver, electrical equipment, drill presses and saws.

The instructor of the robots team, math teacher Matthew Guyton said: “My best memory is not just being with the robot but with the students when they learn new things and finding different skills they didn’t know how to do. Like how to work a drill presses and programing. It’s just cool how all the parts come together and watch the competition.”