Lexus Velodrome offers fitness options for BCHS

<p>BCHS student Jubair Ahmed taking a ride on the Lexus Velodrome track. The white dome structure sits in the shadows of BCHS.</p>

BCHS student Jubair Ahmed taking a ride on the Lexus Velodrome track. The white dome structure sits in the shadows of BCHS.

A giant, white bubble can be seen in the shadows of Benjamin Carson High School, leaving many who pass by it to wonder what it is.

Known as the Detroit Lexus Velodrome, the “bubble” is a multifunction, indoor arena located next to BCHS on Mack Avenue near I-75. This bubble is mainly known for its indoor cycling track, which holds competitive bike races every month, but it also offers many other activities.

The Velodrome, which is operated by the Detroit Fitness Foundation, is free to all who are under 18 and is often used by BCHS as a substitute for gym class.

“It’s a great environment with great people,” said Emran Ali, a senior at BCHS.

Many BCHS students take advantage of their access to the Lexus Dome, including Brice Logan, also a senior.

“It’s a wonderful place for young teens to start a healthy lifestyle,” said Logan.

The Lexus Dome also offers an exercise area including a weight room, fitness center, and running track. The Lexus Dome also offers fitness, inline skating and cycling classes.

“It’s a good place for self relief,” BCHS student Daquan Anderson said.

BCHS senior Jonnel Ealy likes the Dome because it is a good exercise environment.

“The Dome is a friendly place with good resources and a good environment for children, teens, and adults who want a healthy and fit lifestyle,” Ealy said.

BCHS senior Bernard Bradley said he enjoys the physical activity he gets at the Dome.

“It is pretty chill at the Dome, because I'm free over there and I'm able to push my body to the limit,” he said.