Renaissance makes updates to school cafeteria

<p>The well-anticipated Phoenix Café was opened in early November showcasing charging stations, high top tables, brand new chairs and a new menu. Photo by Joielle Speed.</p>

The well-anticipated Phoenix Café was opened in early November showcasing charging stations, high top tables, brand new chairs and a new menu. Photo by Joielle Speed.

On Nov. 4, Renaissance High School transformed the cafeteria into the Phoenix Cafe to improve student’s lunch experiences. 

Renaissance students came into a delightful surprise that Monday. After months of planning for the Phoenix Cafe, it was finally executed. 

“When I saw the social media posts about the Phoenix Cafe, I was extremely excited,” said RHS sophomore Kaila Jackson. “I couldn’t wait to get to school and actually see it.”

RHS Principal Verynda Stroughter spoke to the student body at the beginning of the school year about this update as a part of her plan to improve the school and culture and the transformation started with the food. In the past, many students complained about the school lunch describing it as “disgusting.”

“Before the new menu I never was in line to get a school lunch. The food just wasn’t good,” said RHS sophomore Shamere Duncan.

In the new Phoenix Cafe, lines are long and what students refer to as the “Renni six-piece wing ding combo” is enjoyed by many. Chefs also come in to cook customized meals for students once a week. They keep fresh pizza, chicken sandwiches and salads in the cafe. 

“If they have the Renni six-piece wing ding combo, I’m definitely getting in line to get it. That chicken is so good,” said RHS sophomore Olivia Jenkins. 

The Phoenix Cafe is designed similar to a college cafe. There are higher tables with the Phoenix logo on them, taller seats, booths and charging stations. 

“The redesign makes me feel more comfortable during lunch. And instead of not eating all day I can fuel my body with tasty food,” said RHS junior Alexis Harris.