Hewagama runs class to fit needs

EEVPA chemistry teacher Anura Hewagama has a Ph.D in biochemistry and molecular biology from Wayne State. Photo by Keilyn Trawick.

Soft spoken and mild mannered are two fitting adjectives for chemistry teacher, Dr. Anura Hewagama, a native of Sri Lanka, Kalutara.  

Hewagama is Wayne State University graduate with a Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology. His interest in science started early in his native country, which is located in South Asia on the southwest bay of the Indian Ocean.  

He said, “I like to look at the environment, nature and how things happen in nature.” 

This also how he runs his class, looking at everyone differently, but sometimes teaches students individually based on their needs.  

Junior Marttez Woods said, “Mr. Hewagama goes into descriptive details when he teaches, and he makes sure all of his students have a proper understanding of the work.” 

Even his past students enjoyed his teaching.  

“Mr. Hewagama was a very understanding teacher, who always went over things more than once, so you would understand it, and he also gave you the opportunity to make up work after school,” said former student Lajachanae Minter, 19. 

Hewagama is married with two college-age children. In his spare time, he enjoys playing cricket and badminton.