SAT prep: Juniors get ready to take college admissions test

<p>Students prepare for the SAT by reviewing study guides and taking Michael Gaston’s test prep class.</p>

Students prepare for the SAT by reviewing study guides and taking Michael Gaston’s test prep class.

As the school year progresses, juniors and some seniors at East English are preparing to take the SAT examination. Juniors are getting an early start studying for the test; many of them have a special SAT prep class taught by Michael Gaston.

“It’s a good thing that some 11th graders have SAT Prep classes this early in the school year. Juniors last year took the classes kind of late, so they weren’t able to study as much,” said senior Mercedes Hughes.  

“I am so grateful that our school has this class,” said junior Nathan Minter, “I believe it will help me to do better on the SAT than if I had no preparation.”

The SAT is a standardized test designed to measure students’ skills in three core areas: evidence-based reading, writing and math. The exam is taken by high school students all over America as a college admission examination. Another test high school juniors and seniors are urged to take before applying to college is the ACT. 

The ACT, American Collegiate Test and the SAT, Scholastic Aptitude Test, have been used for more than 60 years by colleges and universities to measure and assess prospective students’ academic competency and ability to complete college studies. 

At one time, Michigan’s high school juniors were required to take the ACT. Now, they must take and are expected to pass the SAT.

Some students at East English are glad the administration arranged for them to have SAT classes; they believe with help and preparation that passing the SAT is possible.

“I did not know most things on the SAT, and it scares me how colleges are worried about my score,” said Da’Wiya Brewer. “I really like how our school now offers SAT Prep classes; it’s nice to know that my school is doing their best to help their students.” 

“The SAT is the hardest test I ever took,” said senior Geno Robinson. 

Colleges are looking for students with SAT scores above 1000; a perfect score is 1600.

“A standardized test doesn’t determine how smart someone is … there are many intelligent students who don’t score high on the SAT; not everyone is a good test-taker, but it is very good that our students at the Ville are getting help,” said senior Army Instructor Sgt. 1st Class Paul Maxson. 

A lot of students who have already taken the SAT fear their future is in jeopardy because they did not do well on it; but, the administration and counselors at the Ville think otherwise. 

Under Dr. Larry Gray’s leadership, it seems “all hands are on deck.”

Teachers of all grade levels are urging juniors to take advantage of the SAT Prep classes, and some teachers are tutoring juniors on their own time.  

There are many who agree with JROTC teacher Maxon that tests don’t really assess most students’ intellect and academic abilities, but statistics still are piling up against poor testers including many African American students.

According to College Board, “22% of African Americans scored between 600 to 790 on the SAT in 2019 and 45% scored from 800 to 990.”

“Most Blacks didn’t score above 1000 on the SAT, so I believe having SAT Prep classes will make students one step closer to achieving the score they desire,” said senior Jacquan Henry.