Johnson stars as singing custodian

East English Village custodian Wayne Johnson can be heard singing through the halls. Photo by Andrenae Rambus.

The halls are rarely ever quiet, but they sure are clean, thanks in part to Wayne Johnson, East English’s new custodian. He brings a fresh personality, energy and talent to the school.

He’s more than a custodian — he’s an old school song lover who can be heard constantly singing hits by the Temptations, Spinners, Dramatics, Nat King Cole and many others while sweeping, mopping or wiping the school’s walls, desks and floors. 

Then, without hesitation, he breaks into a dance move while singing. Johnson attributes his musical talent to his parents.

“As a child growing up, my parents took us kids to church where we heard gospels and hymns, and then at home, they played music all the time,” he said.

Being assigned to East English is a plus for Johnson.

“Oh it’s fun here; I enjoy working at the Ville,” he said, “I believe kids would have a better chance to be successful when we inspire them, you know, motivate them.

“I pray for the best for each one of our students at East English. We must talk to them. There isn’t a lot of communication happening, now that everyone is on technology.”

Three things that Johnson said helped him to be a positive person were church, parents and community.

“Of course, I love to sing. My favorite’s song is by Rodney Franklin, ‘Forever for You’; I am inspired by this song,” he said.

Johnson also said he wants students to keep education a priority, for students keep family important, and everyone should pray and be blessed for each day.