EEVPA's Genise Turner comes from family of educators

Genise Turner has been with DPSCD for more than 20 years.

Genise Turner is an ESE (Exceptional Students Education) teacher at the Ville. She has been with Detroit Public Schools Community District for more than 20 years.

Turner was born and raised in Sandusky, Ohio. She attended Bowling Green State University in Ohio, where she received her bachelor’s degree in business education. Later, she furthered her education and received her master’s degree in special education & learning disabilities from Wayne State University in Detroit.  

“Initially, I wanted to work for a large corporation, so I majored in business,” Turner said. “However, after being influenced to teach by my mom and aunt, I pursued an education degree.”

Turner comes from a family of educators. Growing up in a single-parent home, her mother emphasized the importance of a quality education. She made sure Turner and her siblings went to college or took up a trade. Most of them became educators. 

“My value of education came after having my daughter, Sierra,” Turner said. “I wanted her to recognize me as a positive influence and a strong independent woman; this is what gave me the determination, strength and will to become a dedicated teacher.”

Although Turner enjoys teaching at East English Village, she plans to retire in the next few years, and she is considering returning to corporate America or maybe learning another professional trade.

Until then, students and staff at East English Village can continue to depend on her professionalism and commitment as an effective teacher and colleague.