'Miracle' brings spirit to Detroit

<p>Volunteers package food, cleaning, and health items. Photo by Lizbeth Morales.</p>

Volunteers package food, cleaning, and health items. Photo by Lizbeth Morales.

On Dec. 6, the Southwest Detroit community gathered near Detroit Cristo Rey High School for the second annual Miracle on Vernor.

The event, which ran from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m., featured food trucks, music, games, and therapy dogs. It also offered haircuts, pictures with Santa, clothing, essential items, and services inaccessible to many during the holiday season. 

The event is sponsored by MHT Housing, Inc., a nonprofit company that develops affordable housing. As part of their mission to positively impact every community, the company hosts the Miracle on Vernor in lieu of throwing a company Christmas party.

Around the school and neighborhood, positive remarks were heard about the event. “I love the Miracle on Vernor,” said Cristo Rey President Mike Khoury. “It brings so many people together from the school and community in a wonderful celebration.”

Rosa Gutierrez, assistant to the president at Cristo Rey, said she enjoyed the event as well. 

“Overall the Miracle on Vernor was awesome,” Gutierrez said. “Some of the people who came sometimes don’t have a warm meal. It was heartwarming to see them come and receive one.” 

Junior Kamio Green also saw the holiday spirit. 

“Holidays are about spreading happiness to people around you, because you never know who needs that extra light in their life,” Green said.