White Coat tradition continues

<p>Sophomores at BCHS receive their white coat and commit to lifelong learning. Photo by Tahmim Nazim.</p>

Sophomores at BCHS receive their white coat and commit to lifelong learning. Photo by Tahmim Nazim.

On Nov. 13, Benjamin Carson High School held its seventh annual White Coat Ceremony for sophomores. The event was inspired by similar ceremonies held by medical schools for college sophomores. 

During the ceremony, the choir sang the National Anthem and “Lift Every Voice and Sing.” Soon after, they invited Dr. Lisa Randon, from Detroit Community Health Services, as a keynote speaker who spoke with students about preparing to be a health care professional. Then, students received hip-length white lab coats and recited a pledge led by BCHS senior Sarah Kabala.

“The ceremony did a good job of honoring us, and the oath was a good preview of what we might expect if we choose the medical path,” said BCHS sophomore Lamarr Arrington.

They promised to study hard in order to succeed in the health care profession. 

Sophomore Marvell Jones said, “The event was great, and I learned a few new things about the medical field.”

The students were celebrated and decked out in white coats, looking like true doctors. Students are allowed to wear their white coats as part of their school uniform and should truly envision themselves as a part of the medical community.

BCHS science teacher Linda Bradlin said, “I would consider this ceremony beneficial to anyone entering the health care field.”