Season in Review: Western football

<p>Western football players Bryce Gates, Derrick McCain and Brandan Gates. Photo courtesy of Jonathan Washington.</p>

Western football players Bryce Gates, Derrick McCain and Brandan Gates. Photo courtesy of Jonathan Washington.

The Western High School varsity football team kicked of their season on Aug. 29 against Hamtramck High School. The boys’ varsity team beat Hamtramck, 56-0, and it was an amazing game. The whole team played very well and fought together all the way through the game. Western had a couple injured players on the field but it turned out that the injuries were not too bad. Western still finished the game strong and the boys played their hearts out.

Western battled hard in the second game against DEPSA. Western was expected to come out fighting but let it turn into a dog fight from the start. Western scored the first touchdown by Western kick returner Alontae Williams who raced into the end zone for the first touchdown. The Pioneers battled back, but could not overcome the powerful Cowboys, who beat the Pioneers, 36-28. Star Western receiver Lamont Parks scored a touchdown off a punt return, boosting the Cowboys to a 2-0 record.

Although the Cowboys dropped a game against Cass Tech High School, they kept pushing through the season with a 2-1 record.

The next game the Cowboys knocked off the Cody Comets with 21-6 victory, bringing their record to 3-1. 

Western coach Andre Harlan said: “I really loved the way my boys played. We played with discipline and we were dedicated to get that victory because we are trying to advance to the state championship, and our goal is to make sure that we make it to Ford Field and we will make it there.”

The King Crusaders gave the Cowboys their second loss of the season, but the Cowboys knew they could play better, Harlan said.

“The team practiced very hard the whole week as they got ready to play East English Village High School,” Harlan said.

The Cowboys did play aggressively and won that game, 39-0. 

Western’s final game was Nov. 1 against Fordson High School. The Cowboys lost, 34-16.