Fiat Chrysler invests in Southeastern community

<p>Southeastern students enjoy the FCA Back-to-School Bash. Photo courtesy of Allan Washington</p>

Southeastern students enjoy the FCA Back-to-School Bash. Photo courtesy of Allan Washington

The Southeastern High School back-to-school bash was like no other. 

That’s because this year’s host was Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), an automaker that is expanding its facilities on the eastside of Detroit with a new plant on Mack Avenue, just a block from the school. And it is investing $900 million to modernize the North Jefferson assembly plant. 

It’s investment isn’t only in the facility but in SE and the community. This past summer, some Southeastern students completed summer internships with FCA, and there will be more opportunities in the future for SE students to benefit from the FCA expansion. 

As part of that partnership, FCA will launch a program to engage SE students with technology and machinery used in the auto industry. 

“This is a great opportunity to build a true partnership with the school and community,” said Allan Washington, SE’s assistant principal.

At the bash, FCA distributed SE shirts, school supplies, backpacks and food. Job applications were available for students age 18 and older.

“I thought it was a great experience for students and parents,” said SE Senior Renetta Jones, senior. “It helped with some supplies and book bags; and they had activities, like taking pictures that we could keep.”

Freshman Caleb Murphy said the entire event “left a good impression” about FCA and its support of the community.