Renaissance wins cross country PSL team titles

Many champions were crowned at the Detroit Public School League Cross Country Championship on Oct. 9 at Belle Isle. For parents, athletes, and coaches, this was a meet to remember. 

Renaissance won the overall championship on the boys and girls side. 

Denise Bryson, parent and fan for Renaissance, said she was shocked after she found not only the girls won the meet, but the boys as well. 

“I’m actually at a loss of words right now,” Bryson said. “Not only did the girls win, but the boys were able to come out and make a statement as well. I’m proud of the Phoenix coaches and athletes for their accomplishments today.” 

Many personal and season record times were broken from runners for all schools.

“The plan was to just get out and stay in front of the pack,” said Rasean Lewis, boys champion from Frederick Douglass. “I knew if I held the early advantage, then there would be no one that could beat me.” 

Frederick Douglass coach Pierre Brooks was astonished with Lewis’s outcome, stating his effort was simply amazing. Brooks was filled completely with joy for Lewis and had nothing but positivity to say about his run. 

“Rasean has always been an excellent runner and it was all about him coming out here and showing it today,” Brooks said. “Which indeed he did and I couldn’t be any prouder of him, than I am at this moment.” 

Meet directors Darnell and Karen Hall said they were pleased with the flow of the meet and jokingly, thanked Mother Nature for the excellent weather. Past championship meets were either freezing cold or contained nonstop raining. 

“Funny to say, this is the first time in a long time, that the championship race was not freezing or raining,” Karen Hall said. 

“Today went by smoothly, nice weather, started on time, and no complaints,” Darnell Hall said. 

“Today was a test of effort, teamwork, and dedication, and that's exactly what the team showed today,” Bryson said. Overall, “I am super proud to be apart of the Phoenix organization and I can honestly say this was a meet to remember.”