Downsized event too small for this year’s homecoming crowd

<p>Sophomores Imani Peterson and Javier Hicks pose for a photo on their way to Mumford’s homecoming dance on Oct. 5. Peterson and Hicks were able to get tickets despite the limited supply.</p>

Sophomores Imani Peterson and Javier Hicks pose for a photo on their way to Mumford’s homecoming dance on Oct. 5. Peterson and Hicks were able to get tickets despite the limited supply.

Many Mumford students spent the evening of Oct. 5 at home instead of at Mumford’s homecoming at the Southfield Marriott. 

Junior Leah Denmark was one of many students who wanted to attend but couldn’t get a ticket.

“The tickets sold out too fast,” Denmark said. 

Parent liaison Luanna McVay, one of the event coordinators, said students blamed staff for not printing enough tickets, but it wasn’t a printing error. 

“It wasn’t about tickets; we sold out when we reached capacity. Fewer students went last year so we picked a smaller venue this year,” McVay said. 

Registrar Talisa Edwards said homecoming decisions are based off the previous year’s sales. Because only 120 people showed up for 200 slots last year, they chose a ballroom at the Marriott with a capacity of only 162. 

It turned out that more students wanted to buy tickets this year, and many were disappointed. 

“To get a bigger venue the ticket prices would have gone up,” Edwards said. “At the Marriott, we could have sold more tickets, but we would have had to give up the dance floor.”

Since more people bought tickets this year and more would have, chances are that next year they’ll plan for more space. 

Several people had suggestions for next year’s homecoming so nobody would be left out. 

Junior Reggie Cole said, “If we had it here at school in the gym it would be cheaper and more people could go.”  

About 31 people were asked how they felt about having homecoming in the gym. A little over half said they would considering the size of the gym. 

“It’s bunz because us as seniors couldn’t all experience our last homecoming,” said senior Italiana Jinks.