Students attend Denver retreat

<p>At the Lincoln Hills Restoration Retreat, the young ladies work on self-preservation through yoga and other activities.</p>

At the Lincoln Hills Restoration Retreat, the young ladies work on self-preservation through yoga and other activities.

NAF along with the Fund II Foundation sponsored its second annual Lincoln Hills Restoration Retreat which is normally for black male achievement. But this year, young women were welcomed for the first time since the start of the organization. 

This program’s focus was financial literacy, entrepreneurism, health and wellness instruction, and mentoring. There were also activities like yoga, dancing, fly-fishing, archery, and horseback riding. Motivational speakers included civil rights activist Andrew Jackson, Rev. Run and wife Justine Simmons, and CNN analyst Angela Rye.

This year King’s NAF site coordinator Tracy Jones considered young women who are members of the program and showed interest in this opportunity for a better understanding of what financial stability and personal growth mean.

Sophomore Jalisa Brown and senior Imani Ziyad were chosen. Brown and Ziyad showed great interest in the NAF program as well as the opportunity to go away to Denver, Colorado, to the restoration retreat. 

“This was a good opportunity,” Brown said. “At first, I didn't want to go. I was so nervous because I wouldn't have any connections with anybody. I'm so happy that I did go because being a part of a program this beneficial was just inspiring and made me realize I’m very fortunate to have been offered the opportunity.” 

Ziyad said she learned a lot from this experience and now has more tools she can add to her portfolio.  

“The trip to Denver, Colorado was full of opportunities,” said Ziyad. “I learned so much about communications, and the teachings of financial stability. This trip was enlightening, embracing, and most importantly, it was just a rare experience.” 

“Students often hear about new opportunities but very few take advantage of those opportunities given,” said Jones. “Here at King High School, we are always looking for ways to help, whether it is shining light on new programs or something as simple as pushing and motivating students to take advantage of the many advanced opportunities afforded to them.”