Homecoming parade canceled due to rain

Renaissance High School’s homecoming parade on Oct. 11, the first in 17 years, was canceled due to rainy weather. 

Some students were grateful for the sudden change in weather. The rain seemed to have relieved quite a few of them. 

“I’m glad that it was cancelled,” said Shinell Buchanon, a junior at Renaissance. “I was supposed to perform, but I wasn’t looking forward to it at all.”

Buchanon said she was expecting to see a small crowd at the parade anyway. She said many people seemed “less interested” in the parade and football game than the actual homecoming dance. 

On the other hand, there were students who were unhappy about the sudden cancellation of the parade. Brandon Bell, another junior at RHS, took the news with a grain of salt. 

“I have friends who worked really hard on their floats for the parade,” Bell said. “It’s one thing that they canceled the parade, but they didn’t acknowledge any of the students who helped prepare for it.”

RHS assistant principal Lewis Grady said what aided in making the decision to cancel the parade. 

“Well, we knew there was going to be about a 30% chance of rain,” Grady said. 

When asked if there was going to be another attempt at holding the parade, Grady said the school may try again the spring. 

“Renaissance’s administration plans to try holding another parade in the spring, when the sun is out for at least 10 days in a row,” said Grady.