Pink Out Day: East English students, staff support breast cancer awareness

<p>East English Village principle Dr. Larry Gray, seated, and his administrative staff participated in Pink Out Day on Oct. 14.</p>

East English Village principle Dr. Larry Gray, seated, and his administrative staff participated in Pink Out Day on Oct. 14.

Every year, according to the American Cancer Society, more than 200,000 Americans are diagnosed with breast cancer. Despite great strides in cancer research, many women and some men still die from it.

On Oct. 14, East English’s staff and students recognized and supported breast cancer awareness. Hundreds dressed in pink to support survivors and to honor those who unfortunately lost their battle to the disease. More than 75 staff members including all administrators and cafeteria staff joined students wearing shades of pink. 

The East English Village lunchroom donned their pink for Pink Out Day and Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

“It felt good to see everyone support Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and I hope it happens like this every year,” said 9th grade counselor, Marques Blandford. 

Breast cancer is one of America’s biggest charities with fundraising exceeding $6 billion in 2018. The Susan G. Komen For the Cure organization raised $420 million for research and medical services in 2018.

“It is rare to talk to anyone who has not been directly or indirectly affected by breast cancer… it seems everyone knows someone afflicted with this or another form of cancer,” said teacher Cynthia Roddie. “That’s why we want students to recognize and support those who suffer with the disease.”

EEVPA teachers and counselors had dialogue with their students about signs of breast cancer, available medical services and programs for patients and their families.”

More than 400 students participated in Pink Out Day.