Cheer up: Cheerleading team grows with freshmen additions

<p>Sophomore Nick'Kel Bridges, freshman Summer Evans-Reynolds, freshman Trinity Walker, senior Isabel Lopez, freshman Anyelina de la Cruz, and sophomore Nia Masud at cheer practice. Photo by Liz Sanchez.</p>

Sophomore Nick'Kel Bridges, freshman Summer Evans-Reynolds, freshman Trinity Walker, senior Isabel Lopez, freshman Anyelina de la Cruz, and sophomore Nia Masud at cheer practice. Photo by Liz Sanchez.

The Cristo Rey cheerleading team has been putting in long hours of practice to improve their skills and incorporate six new freshmen members.

Paris Ritter, Cristo Rey Alumni Success coordinator, said dedication, focus and hard work are required for a strong team.

“Sport is a skill to learn,” she said. “If you’re determined to learn it, you will eventually learn it.” 

The team meets every Monday and Tuesday and sometimes more if there is a game that week. Ritter said this is frequent enough that students will still get in the needed practice, but also have time for their school work.

“Being a Cristo Rey student, it’s not easy with the long days, work, and homework,” said Ritter.

Although the team is open to all grade levels, it is currently made up of freshmen Summer Evans-Reynolds, Anyelina De La Cruz, Sundeara Moore, Izabella Vasquez, Trinity Walker, and Destini Wilson; and sophomores Nick’Kel Bridges, Zoey Leaks, Nia Masud, Brandi Rochon, and Ariana Suber-Lawson.

Senior Isabel Lopez, sophomore Nick'Kel Bridges,  freshman Anyelina de la Cru z, freshman Summer Evans-Reynolds, and sophomore Nia Masud practice in the Cristo Rey gym. Photo by Liz Sanchez.