Students learn about Eastern Michigan, discuss academic success

<p>Seniors Amir Johnson, D’aja Wittfield, and &nbsp;Imani Hall-Jennings stands with President James M. Smith of Easter Michigan.</p>

Seniors Amir Johnson, D’aja Wittfield, and  Imani Hall-Jennings stands with President James M. Smith of Easter Michigan.

On Sept. 19, Eastern Michigan University President James M. Smith and Vice President David Turner visited Cass Technical School to have academic discussions with students. While they were at Cass they took a tour of the school and held a conference about transitioning to higher education.

CT students were afforded the opportunity to learn about Eastern Michigan’s many programs and what the school has to offer. Students also got the opportunity to ask about extracurricular activities and campus life. During the last portion of the conference, students were allowed to break off into groups and ask questions about college readiness.

“The goal of their visit was to bridge the gap between Cass Tech students and Eastern Michigan staff to make the transition for incoming freshman easier,” said Cass Tech counselor Monica Jones.

According to a report by wndu.com, 60% of college students feel that they were unprepared for the transition from high school to college. Both the president and vice president discussed admissions requirements.

“The visit was very thoughtful and I appreciate the fact that they took the time out of their day for us,” senior Amir Johnson said. “I like the fact that I was able to personally speak to them and get the advice I needed about the school.”