CT chess champion competes in India

<p>Sharisse Woods in Mumbai India at the World Chess Championship. Photo by Jadie Woods.</p>

Sharisse Woods in Mumbai India at the World Chess Championship. Photo by Jadie Woods.

Cass Tech’s chess champion Sharisse Woods traveled to Mumbai, India, this fall, to be apart of the World Youth Chess Championship. She competed in one of the most competitive chess championships in the world. Sharisse ranks No. in the state for her age. 

The U.S Chess Federation requires that players have a score of 1,800 to qualify and Woods had a score of 1917.

Woods, 14, is a ninth grader at Cass Tech and a member of the school’s chess club.

Bryan Wilson, Cass Tech’s chess coach, described Woods as a “humble and hardworking person.”

Woods is also a part of the girls swim team, and she studies two hours a day for her classes.

At age 7, Woods began playing chess, and by the age of 9 she received over $1,000 for winning chess matches. She has traveled to Ohio, Canada, and Greece for Chess tournaments. However, India is more significant because she had the opportunity to be a part of a World Championship. She said the 15-hour flight was very tiring but she enjoyed her stay in India. 

Woods said waking up and learning about game strategies was exciting. Woods said she uses specific strategies when she is playing against an opponent, such as making sure each piece is in sync.

Woods played one tournament per day in India. She didn’t win the overall competition but said the experience was amazing.