Students study abroad in Italy

<p>Benjamin Carson High School students enjoy the view of a rooftop in Venice.</p>

Benjamin Carson High School students enjoy the view of a rooftop in Venice.

Six Ben Carson High School students traveled to Italy over summer vacation as part of a new study abroad program. 

The selection process to determine which students would attend included factors such as grades, behavior, attitudes and character. 

“The trip was possible because the district received a grant from the Michigan Department of Education, to fund experimental learning through a study abroad program,” said Regina Weiss, BCHS social studies teacher who helped plan the trip.

The trip included 53 students from the Detroit Public School Community District. World Strides organized the trip under the leadership of Global Languages Program Supervisor Dr. Viviana Muriel De Bonafede and Joshua Lopez from Renaissance High School. 

Students traveled to Rome, Sorrento, Florence and Venice. Highlights of the trip included touring the Roman Coliseum where students were training to be Roman Gladiators. 

“It was fun being trained as a gladiator; learning archery was different,” BCHS senior Deshanae Terry said.

The students also were able to visit and tour Vatican City.

“We walked around a lot, but it was a great experience,” BCHS senior Kaitlin Harris said.

Students also sailed around the Island of Capri and swam in the Mediterranean Sea. Students visited the ruined city of Pompeii, took authentic Italian cooking class, and learned about Italian Dance.

The Pompeii visit was “very touching,” BCHS senior Jonnell Ealy said.