Cass Tech hosts robotics competition

<p>“Destination: Deep Space” was held at Cass Tech in March. Cass Tech’s robotics team finished ninth.</p>

“Destination: Deep Space” was held at Cass Tech in March. Cass Tech’s robotics team finished ninth.

Robotics is one of the most competitive student events in the U.S. The robotics event known as “Destination: Deep Space” was held at Cass Technical High School on March 14-16, marking the third time that Cass Tech has hosted a competition.

Forty teams of intelligent young students participated in the competition after weeks of preparing their robot for competition.

The event included 40 teams, including the Tenacious Technicians from Cass Tech, other Detroit schools, and surrounding areas. The winning team was Detroit’s Cesar Chavez High School.

Cass Tech’s robotics team finished in ninth place and was invited to the FIRST World Championship competition, which this year took place in Detroit, at Cobo Hall in April. FIRST stands for “For Inspiration & Recognition of Science & Technology.

Robotics competitions come with a lot of beforehand preparation. They come with a lot of trial and error as well. 

“All teams are provided a common kit of materials and six weeks only to construct their robots. Then the games begin,” assistant principal Velma Snow said.

Each team has to program its robot to be sure that it will be able to go forward, backward, turn around, pick things up and set things down.

“They afford opportunities for students to enjoy the excitement of an athletic-like sports, football or basketball, and the rigors of science and technology while learning valuable STEM and life skills,” Snow said. 

“The vision of FIRST Robotics is to transform our culture by creating a world where science and technology are celebrated and where young people dream of becoming science and technology leaders.”