Depression rising among teenagers

The depression started when she moved to Texas.

“It was fun at first, but then I became the target of a group of girls who called me out my name, shoved me into lockers and threw food at me,” said the student, who has since returned to Michigan and now attends Mumford. Mustang Voice is not identifying her to protect her privacy.

“I never thought in a million years that I’d be depressed, but then it hit me right in the forehead,” she said.

She’s not alone. According to an article on johnshopkinshealthreview.com, experts have seen a rise in clinical depression and anxiety among adolescents ages 12 to 17.

Clinical therapist Derrick Jackson said depression is basically like having a chronic sense of a low mood. Over time your body just starts to be in a low mood as a normal state.  

“Depression can come from sexual trauma, abuse, neglect, witnessing domestic violence, and not being satisfied with who you are as a person and how you view yourself,” Jackson said. “And isolation is a big problem. Like for instance, when a person doesn’t have enough support around, it can create a sense of loneliness or withdrawal from everyone around them.”

Some teens aren’t completely comfortable sharing their personal feelings with people, especially their parents.

Jackson said teens sometimes don’t ask for help because they feel misunderstood, and adults aren’t always good at opening up a door for dialogue with kids to talk about serious things. 

“Teens refrain from saying stuff because they don’t wanna be judged for it. They don’t want to be an outcast. They don’t want to be labeled as depressed because of what comes along with that,” Jackson said. 

“I am not comfortable with sharing my feelings with my parents,” said another student who didn’t want to be named. “They would be super-worried and constantly ask if I’m gonna hurt myself or if I need I need therapy. I don’t need all of that.”