Eyes on the Lady Bulldogs

By Zy’Keius Williams

Lady Bulldogs leading scorers are (left to right), shooting guard Alexis Thompson, point guard Kendal Taylor, and center and reigning Miss Basketball Jayla Smith.

The varsity Lady Bulldogs are having a great basketball season, with a 12-1 record. And, with their momentum, more wins are expected. 

The team, led by the Big 3, seniors Alexis Thompson, shooting guard, Jayla Smith, small forward and Kendall Taylor, point guard is very talented and dedicated.

Alexis “Ace” recently said, “Our team’s goal is to win PSL and the City championship.” 

There is a lot of hype about the Lady Bulldogs. 

“Being an ‘unselfish’ team is a big factor in their success,” said senior Donyele Valentine. 

“Another reason they are successful is the whole team is on the same page. They want to win. They are committed and work hard,” added Donyele.

Ace is quick to point out her frame of mind for every game, “I want to embarrass my opponents, especially ranked players that feel like we are underdogs.” 

Their last two games were spectacular. In a game against Denby’s Tars, the Lady Bulldogs pulled off a 60-39 win with Ace scoring 26 points. Then, in the following game, Feb. 5 against Central’s Trailblazers, the Ville’s score board was blazing with the final score of 64-16.