Pursue your life’s passions

Jessica Gutierrez

One of the most important lessons I’ve learned is never be scared to do what you want to do. Live the life you want to live and be the person you want to become. Life has many obstacles that you feel you can’t achieve, but anything can be possible. 

I’ve learned this lesson while making the decision to be an art major in college. Being an art major is difficult in various ways for individual people. I’ve been through ups and downs with my career interest. I am constantly surrounded with creativity, but I’ve had trouble realizing that no matter where you go, what you say, or do is something you can make into art. 

The beginning of my freshman year was when I began to realize this passion for art. Art can be any shape or form: the way someone speaks, writings, drawings, designs, music, cultures — everything around the world is art, but no one takes a step back to realize that. For me, the way I express my ways of art is through poetry, writing, and photography. I may need a little push to keep going from time to time. I truly do see what I can do and what I am capable of, and I was surprised. I had to take a step back with awe and realize what I am doing. I take a deep breath and admire my work because I did that. You can do the same. Take a step back at your work and be proud of how far you have come. Be proud you had the strength to begin something you worked hard for and be proud to finish it.

Never be afraid of what you are interested in. If you have a passion for something then you should never give up on it; hard work does pay off. No matter how badly people bring you down about who you are, that should not stop you. You are in control of your life and you take control of your actions. You need to believe in yourself first. 

I may not be good enough for other individuals, but that doesn’t matter. It’s more important to be proud of myself, and I am. I’ve grown so much through these past four years of high school. I’ve seen, spoken, and done things that have helped me become someone better for myself. These experiences have helped me to grow and become the person I am today. Life is a work in progress.