How to be OK with the nay

Christian Johnson

Many college admissions decisions are coming out, with regular decision rounds closing up. It is leaving many students anticipated with the answer from their respected colleges.

Many fear the dreaded rejection letter because when received, many feel the need to give up. However, although it will feel like the end of the world, it will not be.

“It was depressing getting rejected from a college, and although I reapplied, it also led me to explore my options which is a positive,” senior Kayla Cummings.

Rejection hurts no matter the cause of it, but there are always other opportunities. 

Thousands of students though, get rejected every year. As prestigious colleges, Stanford University and Harvard University deny 95 percent of their applicants. 

Although, some may think so, rejection does not tell you are a bad student, simply that there are too many applicants for a limited space. 

“When students realize that decisions are based predominantly on numbers during a particularly competitive year, and not necessarily on the merits of the application, it depersonalizes the decision, which helps them feel better,” said Pat Rambo, former college and career counselor at Springfield High School via The College Board.

While 47,450 students submitted an application to Stanford for the Fall 2018 term, only 2,040 students were admitted.

Rejection is tough, but there are not 5,300 colleges in America for no reason. There are many colleges that are the right fit for you.