Renaissance alumnus publishes children’s book

Kyle McMurtry, a 2016 Renaissance graduate who now is a junior at Howard University, has published a children’s book that encourages K-5 students to attend HBCUs. “Henry’s Going to an HBCU” was released early November on Amazon eBooks and late November on paperback.

In the book, Henry gets accepted into his number one school of choice, Howard. Hope, his younger sister, has much excitement for her brother, but has no idea what an historically black college or university is. Henry explains to Hope the importance of HBCUs for the African-American community. 

Through the story, Henry tells her that many lawyers, actors, professional athletes, doctors and important figures have been part of the HBCU experience.  

McMurtry reflects his own experience since attending Howard, where he studies political science with a business minor.

“Going to an HBCU has been very empowering,” said McMurtry. “Learning a lot of black history, talking about all the diversity everyone has gone through.” 

He desires the book to encourage future generations, particularly students of Hope’s age, to become an HBCU scholar. 

“If they start that early with motivation to go to an HBCU, by the time they get into high school, they’re ready to accomplish so much,” McMurtry said.

Since attending Howard, he said he’s become “more confident, more capable, and optimistic.” 

“No dream is too small,” he says.

Beyond the book, Kyle gives advice to students who are considering attending an HBCU.

“Go for it, visit colleges, get a vibe for it, don’t get discouraged.”

You can learn more about McMurtry and his work at his website, www.kylemcmurtry.com.