Detroit dances with survivors to raise money for families affected by cancer

Detroit’s Pinkfunds Organization hosted its annual breast cancer awareness dance on Oct. 5 in Southfield to bring awareness to problems that breast cancer causes, with an exciting twist.

“Dancing with Survivors” is an event that features professional dancers from the Detroit area, who are paired up with local breast cancer survivors to create dances of various styles.

“This event is a great opportunity for me to become acquainted with the women I know I can be,” said cancer survivor dancer Sarah Erzen. “You go from being somebody who can’t sit up in a chair, to dancing.”

The dancers compliment their dances with different themed costumes to make the dances more engaging and entertaining.

“This event reminded me of ‘Dancing with the Stars’,” said Asia Muhsin, an attendee. “Everyone had beautiful outfits, and you couldn’t even tell that these women were once immobilized.”

Funds raised will support local breast cancer patients who are currently in treatment.

According to Susie, a testimonial from The Pink Fund, “Without your charity immediately rescuing us, I don’t know what my son and I would have done for food, shelter and basic needs.”

The Pink Fund event started in Detroit to help struggling families, who are dealing with severe medical bills. This organization not only provides help with medical bills, but also food, clothing, and housing.

Molly McDonald, the founder of The Pink fund says, after she experienced the hardships of being a victim of breast cancer, she made it her mission to help other women like her and give them hope.

An event like this has helped many people, not only cancer victims but also people who are not affected. According to participants in Detroit Dancing with survivors, people have found joy and happiness, always leaving with a smile on their face.