“Unstoppable” students treated to fun fall field-trip

<p>par part of a group of students chosen by deans to attend the trip because of their positive attendance, grades and conduct.</p>

par part of a group of students chosen by deans to attend the trip because of their positive attendance, grades and conduct.

It was a day of firsts for Texas native Taelor Moore when she attended a field trip to Blake’s Orchard in Armada, MI on Oct. 29. First taste of apple cider, first visit to a cider mill, first walk through a corn maze.

“It was one of the best field trips we ever had,” Moore said. “There were so many things to do, I was with my friends, and I got to experience new things.”

Students were chosen for this special field trip by their deans for excellence in attendance, conduct and grade point average. In the beginning of the school year Mumford principal Angela Prince reminded students and staff to “be amazing, be unstoppable, be brave, and be inspiring . . . be the difference at MHS!” This trip was Prince’s way of recognizing students who were “being” all those things.

Junior Myesha Williams said that she really enjoyed herself.

“It was so much fun! My favorite part was when we all played tag through the corn maze. It was muddy and wet, but I didn't mind getting dirty,” Williams said.

Junior Dejaun Bradley agreed and added that it was a very different experience because students were treated like young adults.

“Ms. Prince let us do what we wanted, like, we didn't have to be supervised,” Bradley said. “We could walk anywhere we wanted and choose what we wanted to do.”

And there was a lot to do.

Students toured the whole farm and orchard on a tractor-pulled train, visited a haunted house, raced through a corn maze, fed farm animals, feasted on cider and donuts, took a hay ride to the orchards at the back of the farm, picked apples and selected small pumpkins to take home.

The group also ran into Senator Debbie Stabenow who happened to be visiting the cider mill. The senator answered questions and posed for photos.

Lunch choices included corn dogs, chili cheese fries, sandwiches and more cider and donuts.

“I think the food was my favorite thing,” Moore said.

: