CT fired up for former President Obama

<p>Gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer with CT Visionary adviser Stephanie Griffin, right, and editor Aja Gaines.</p>

Gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer with CT Visionary adviser Stephanie Griffin, right, and editor Aja Gaines.

Former President Barack Obama brought out the best of Detroit on Oct. 26.

Michigan residents stood in lines wrapped around the building because waiting in the cold for hours is worth the wait when it comes to grabbing seat at Cass Tech to see Obama speak.

Among those waiting in line were, Cass Tech Alumni and candidate for State Rep. Myya Jones.

While many Michiganders were in line to hear Obama speak, attendees had the opportunity hear from many Democratic nominees about their political platforms and why Michiganders should give them their vote.

Many democrats spoke at the rally including: Congressional candidates Elissa Slotkin, Haley Stevens, Brenda Lawrence, Rashida Talib, and Brenda Jones.

“We will win this, we will win this!” Brenda Jones added to her campaign.

Lawrence focused on the women in her speech. “All men and women are created equal.”

Secretary of State candidate Jocelyn Benson said, “wouldn’t it be nice to not wait in line at the Secretary of State.”

Gretchen Whitmer, running for Governor of Michigan said “I’m sick of the Attorney General” and encouraged Michiganders to give them her vote so that she could make change for the state.

The Democratic candidates got the crowd riled up to vote. But Obama really got the crowd excited. During Obama’s speech, he encouraged Michiganders to vote Democratic during the Nov. 6 midterm election. Obama personally endorsed every candidate that participated in the rally, including Debbie Stabenow and Whitmer.

Though Obama was at the rally to encourage Michiganders to vote for the democratic candidates, one of the attendees in the crowd shouted for Obama to run for president again.

“I can’t do that, baby. I follow the Constitution,” he said.

Obama had many standout moments during the rally; however, the most notable moment for Cass Technical High School was the many shoutouts he gave CT.

Obama gave a special shout out to the Technicians and their undefeated football team.

“I hear the Technicians… I hear the Technicians got the best football team. I think it’s cool to have a great football team who’s also called the Technicians,” Obama said.

Obama also acknowledged the Cass Tech Marching Band as they played “Swag Surf” prior to his introduction.

“Let’s give it up for the band, Cass Tech!” Obama said, and the Cass Tech VIP section along with the other Michiganders went wild.

The rally concluded with a charge for Michiganders to vote Nov. 6.

Following the rally, Obama met The Cass Technical High School Marching Band and allowed students the opportunity to take photographs.

CT Visionary adviser Stephanie Griffin contributed to this report.