Delta Prep closure leaves students without a school

When Delta Preparatory Academy for Social Justice suddenly announced it was closing on Sept. 27, about 200 Detroit area High School students were left without a school.

The school announced that it will cease operations on Oct. 1, leaving the students to scramble to find a new school before count day on Oct. 3.

“I felt it was bad situation, and left a bitter taste in my mouth,” said Paul Bennett, who attended Delta Prep Academy since 10th grade.

The fiduciary for the school is Ferris State University. EQUITY Education, the management company for the charter school, has recommended parents sign up for two of its other high schools.

Edith Frylie, the school board president, said a plan presented by Equity was not sustainable and felt they needed to close the school before student count day, the Detroit Free Press reported.

“Our enrollment specialists along with the surrounding DPSCD high school ... leaders are planning to attend the two parent meetings scheduled," Chrystal Wilson, spokeswoman for the Detroit Public Schools Community District, told the Free Press.

DPSCD Enrollment Specialist Monica DeGarmo has confirmed that 23 former Delta Prep students are currently attending DPSCD schools. The students are attending Communication & Media Arts High School, Martin Luther King Jr. High School, Westside Academy, Henry Ford High School, Ben Carson High School, and East English Village Preparatory Academy.