Sleepless and Hungry: Ramadan during the school year

On May 15, the holy month of Ramadan started for Muslims worldwide. Kids start fasting for Ramadan about the time they reach puberty, which can range from age 7 to the late teens. It’s mandatory in Islam for every Muslim to fast.

This month of fasting starts when students are in school, which can be very overwhelming and stressful. It can often affect students’ sleeping schedules. Waking up at 3:30 am for prayer and suhoor, the meal consumed early in the morning by Muslims before fasting, can often make it hard to fall back asleep.

“For me, Ramadan has been difficult, especially when it falls during the school year.” said Farjana Begum, a junior at Cass Technical High School.

“When it comes to the sleep schedule, its almost nonexistent,” said Begum,“because there is praying ... by the time everything is finished it will be around 12:30 a.m.-1 a.m.”

“As a Muslim student, I can say that enduring Ramadan during school is no easy task,” said Benjamin Carson junior Osama Al-Dahan. “We fast from sunrise to sunset, working on assignments and daily tasks. We wake up early for prayer. We persevere through the humid weather. Some people struggle to move, let alone complete exams at 8:00 in the morning and finish strong.”

But I don’t see Ramadan as a restraint,” said Al-Dahan. "I see it as the exact opposite.”